About a month ago I attended the Michigan Wine Showcase where I got to sample a comprehensive selection of award-winning wines from Michigan, and culinary creations from Chef Tim Budzinski, of the Matt Prentice Restaurant Group. While the wines were fantastic, I want to focus on the array of blueberry products that were given to me for sample as well as the various dishes I have made in conjunction with these products.
While not a stimulating visual, this coffee was delicious with clear blueberry notes. If you like flavored coffee, you’ll love this slightly fruity drink. I will be ordering more for sure.
Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup
Using a simple, already packaged blueberry pancake mix, I added both fresh blueberries and dried blueberries in the batter. Topped with blueberry syrup, this breakfast treat delivered a mouthful of blueberry goodness. While I would normally like my syrup to be a little thinned out, the flavors were spot on. If you like blueberries, this is a great way to start the day!
Blueberry BBQ Sauce Ribs
These mouth watering ribs glazed with a blueberry bbq sauce worked much better than you would think. The sweetness of the delicious fruit balanced perfectly with the subtle heat from the bbq sauce. You could also glaze salmon, pork chops, and other poultry.
Blueberries Foster on Ice Cream
What is blueberries foster you ask? A dessert topping made with blueberry liqueur and dark rum. A perfect compliment on top of a bowl of your favorite ice cream. Out of all the dishes I made using this secret ingredient (Iron Chef style), this one was my favorite. I highly suggest you pick up a jar and kick up your ice cream treat a few notches.
How many people have told you that blueberries are healthy for you? Just about everyone, right? Instead of taking this at face value, I wanted to share some facts about blueberries nutritional value.
Health benefits of blueberries – found on www.nutrition-and-you.com
- Blueberry is very low in calories. 100 g fresh berries provide only 57 calories. However they contain health benefiting soluble dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins and pigment anti-oxidants that contribute immensely for optimum health and wellness.
- Blueberries are among the highest anti-oxidant value fruits. The ORAC value of 100 g fresh blueberries is 5562 TE (Trolex equivalents). Their antioxidant value largely derived from poly-phenolic anthocyanidin compounds such as chlorogenic acid, tannins, myricetin, quercetin and kaempferol.
- In addition, these berries have other flavonoid anti-oxidants such as carotene β, lutien and zeaxanthin.
- Altogether these phyto-chemical compounds in blueberries help remove harmful oxygen derived free radicals from the body and thereby protect the body from cancers, aging, degenerative diseases and infections.
- Also research studies suggest that chlorogenic acid in these berries help lower blood sugar levels and control blood glucose levels in type-II diabetes mellitus condition.
- Fresh berries cantain small amount of vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin E. Altogether these vitamins make potent lipid soluble anti-oxidants, help limit free radical mediated injury to body.
- The berries also contain small amount of B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, pyridoxine, folates and pantothenic acid. It contains very good amounts of vitamin B-6, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and folic acid. These vitamins are acting as co-factors help body metabolize carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
- In addition, these berries contain good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, iron and zinc. Potassium in an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase. Copper is required in the production of red blood cells. Iron is required for red blood cell formation.
Hopefully you’ve enjoyed this blueberry everything blog. If you’re interested in taking a look at the blueberry store, which is headquartered in Grand Junction, MI you should visit www.theblueberrystore.com and peruse the fine selection of blueberry items. You will also find some other fruit related selection and other food and drink treats from teas to chocolate covered pretzels.