- 1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (about 32 cookies)–I used the Oreo Mint cookies that are out now for the holidays and it really gave the crust a extra punch of mint. I used the entire package
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 (8oz) packages of cream cheese softened
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract—I usually throw in a couple additional teaspoons because I LOVE vanilla!
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks-I use Nestle
- 1/2-3/4 cup coarsely crushed hard peppermint candies (about 24)-I found some pre crushed peppermint candy in a bottle at Marshalls. I have also seen this product at World Market
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels (I use Ghirardelli)
- Garnish: 65 medium sized candy cane sticks-I bought 3 boxes (24 ea.) at Big Lots for $2 a box. I had to trim off the rounded tops and I cut half of them 3/4″ shorter so I had a variety of heights
Combine cookie crumbs, melted butter and sugar and stir well. Press mixture on bottom and press up the sides of the pan about 3/4″ and press bottom so crust is equally distributed. Place on wire rack with baking pan below for 14 minutes. Let cool.
Beat cream cheese at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sweetened condensed milk, beating just until blended. Add 1/3 cup whipping cream and next 3 ingredients. Beat until just blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears. Stir in chocolate chunks and half of the crushed candies.
Pour Batter into baked crust. Bake at 325 degrees for at least 55 minutes or until edges are set and and center is almost set. NOTE: The cheesecake may still giggle a little but this is OK. Don’t over bake!. Turn the oven off. Immediately run a knife around edge of pan, releasing sides. With oven door slightly open, let cheesecake stand in oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack. Cover and chill for 8 hours. Remove sides and bottom of pan.
For garnish: Pour 1 cup heavy whipping cream in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute or until hot. Add 2 cups semi sweet morsels. Let sit for about a minute and then still until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
Put a layer of wax paper under a wire rack and place the cheesecake on top of the rack. Pour the ganache mixture over the chilled cheesecake, starting in the center and allowing the ganache to spill over the edges.
Smooth the edges that did not get covered with an offset spatula. Allow a few minutes to set up.
Then, take candy cane sticks and place around the diameter of the cheesecake. I cut half of them down about 3/4″ and alternated tall vs. short candy canes for a more stylized look. Sprinkle the remaining crushed peppermints on the top. Place back in fridge until chocolate has set up. When ready to serve allow to sit out at room temp for about 10 minutes.
Now place your masterpiece on a beautiful cake pedestal. Slice and serve, and prepare to be called a domestic Goddess or God and receive lots of accolades!!