Guest blog by Heather Rousseau, owner of SugarHigh Bakery in Frankenmuth.
Eggnog is seriously one of the biggest reasons I look forward to the holiday season. I love eggnog and I obviously love cupcakes, so what could be more perfect!? These egg nog cupcakes are always a HIT and one of the most popular holiday flavors at the bakery so I figured I’d share the recipe with you.
- ¼ c powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 24 cupcake liners
- 2-3/4 cup of sifted cake flour
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ c butter (1-1/2 sticks)
- 1-1/4 cup eggnog (reserve ¼ cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, nutmeg, salt & baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg whites until frothy.
- Add the ½ cup of sugar and continue beating the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually add the rest of the sugar. Scrape the bowl often and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar, alternating with the eggnog. Scrape bowl after each addition and beat until smooth. Add in vanilla and rum extracts.
- Add the meringue and gently fold into a batter.
- Fill your cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Check them at 12 minutes)
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into a mixing bowl. Combine powdered sugar and nutmeg. Slowly add powdered sugar mixture to heavy whipping cream while whipping.
- Whip until stiff peaks – be careful not to over beat. Set aside.
- Using a squeeze bottle, inject remaining eggnog into each cupcake. Three to four injections is generally best, but you may like more or less, depending on your preference.
- Apply the whipped frosting to each cupcake and garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg.