This is a recipe from my childhood. My Grandma Frye used to work as a cook at Seymour Elementary in Flushing, Mich. and she would make huge batches of this delicious peanut butter and chocolate treat to sell it at lunch time to all the kids.
These taste similar to Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups or buckeyes, except BETTER! She always shared the recipe with anyone who asks and now I’m sharing it with you.
This recipe makes about 18 pieces, depending on how big you cut them.
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup butter (soft; do not use margarine)
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar (approx.)
- 2 cups of chocolate chips (whichever kind you like most!)
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Blend peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and vanilla together until the mixture is smooth.
2. Slowly begin to add the powdered sugar. If you add all of it at the same time, you’ll be wearing it. =) Once you dump all of the powdered sugar in, you should see the mixture stick together well and pull away from the sides of the bowl. You should also be able to make a ball of it in your hand without it sticking to your hand much.
3. Spread the mixture into a pan. For this size batch, we used a 6 1/2 x 10″ glass pan. You can use one a bit bigger or a bit smaller, depending on how thick you want the peanut butter mixture to be. Use your hands to pat it down and make it even.
4. Cover with chocolate chips! You’ll need enough to cover the top once it’s melted, but you can add more/less depending on how thick you want the layer of chocolate. Slide the pan into the oven for about 3-5 minutes until the chocolate chips melt.
5. Once the chocolate chips have melted, use a spoon to spread the chocolate evenly across the peanut butter. (Take the pan out of the oven if that will make it easier to spread.)
6. Put the pan in the refrigerator so the chocolate can set up and harden again before you cut into it! That should take about 20-30 minutes.
Yum! Let me know if you try it and love it! I’m going to go tell my grandma she’s famous on the internet now.