There are few beverages more refreshing in the summer than lemonade. At its most basic, the combination of lemon, sugar, and water is a delicious way to quench your thirst, but it has been done so many times before. It’s time to give lemonade an upgrade.
We’ve partnered with Lemonade Day Detroit to bring you a series of fun and, we think, delightful lemonade recipes that might change your idea of what lemonade is and can be. All of these recipes will be kid-friendly and relatively easy to prepare, especially if you own a blender.
Being a huge fan of lavender lemonade and even mint lemonade, I thought it would be fun to add a component that might appear a little unorthodox. Strawberry lemonade is available all over the place, but strawberry BASIL lemonade not so much. By simply adding some basil to blender along with the strawberries, the overall flavor of the lemonade is brighter and deeper.
- Juice of 4 fresh lemons (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups Water
- ½ Pound Strawberries
- 6-8 Leaves of fresh Basil
- Sweetener to taste
- Squeeze the juice from lemons into a pitcher
- Add water
- In a blender, add strawberries and basil along with some sweetener of choice (I used ½ tsp of Stevia)
- Blender until pureed or desired consistency is reached
- Add strawberry-basil puree to lemonade and stir
- Pour over ice and serve
If you’re hungry for more information about Lemonade Day, visit Detroit.LemonadeDay.org to register and get your questions answered!